Applications due 13/05/22
Date posted: April 27, 2022
Location: 1220 Old San Antonio Road, Buda, TX, USA
TL;DR USA-Swimming Club team coaching, meet manager duties, lifeguard/staff supervision
the Aquatics and Swimming Competitions Program Manager has a unique opportunity to bring our vision of breaking down barriers (geographic, financial and physical) to nature and outdoor education for all Y youth at Camp Moody. Our camp is situated on 85 acres along the Edwards Plateau and on the edge of the Balcones Escarpment. Our unique features include limestone outcrops, activity field and riparian zone along Onion Creek. Additionally, the constructed facility includes a 10-lane natatorium, fitness center, three miles of trails, an art barn, indoor pavilion, campgrounds, and a 14-element challenge course. Under the direction of the Director of Aquatic Sports, the Manager of the Aquatics Program and Swim Meets assists the training of the USA-Swimming club team, directs and organizes competitive swimming competitions and supports the learn-to-swim program and other aspects of water sports. The Program Manager will play a critical role in ensuring Aquatic Team Members are successful in delivering a high quality program experience to all members and participants.
Salary: $42,000 to $47,000 per year, depending on experience
The rewards we offer you:
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision and health insurance
- Up to 48 days of PTO during vacations, holidays, personal days and sick days
- Complimentary family membership at facilities operated by the YMCA of Austin (valued at $1,000 per year)
- 12% employer-sponsored pension plan based on eligibility
- Learning and development workshops and trainings
- Career advancement opportunities
What are the details?
Strategic leadership and management (25%)
- Create a positive and motivating environment for all team members
- Provide leadership and supervision to the department team as well as all branch teams
- Ensure program quality is of the utmost importance to all aquatic programs
- Use data-driven decision making for program decisions
- Participate in monthly swimming instructor development meetings
- Respond to all member and community inquiries in a timely manner
- Able to work a flexible work schedule to always provide regular exposure to members and team members throughout the week, including early mornings, evenings and/or weekends
- Recruit, train, develop, support and directly supervise program team members and volunteers
- Assume supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable laws
- Assist in conducting annual performance reviews at least once a year, as well as team member appreciation/recognition, coaching and progressive discipline as necessary
- Ensure that team members are well informed and connected to the wider branch and the strategic plan of the Association
- Audit team members to ensure they are ready
- Organize lifeguard training if necessary to achieve program objectives
- Develop and run in-house lifeguard services
Program management (50%)
Program and administrative support
- Assist and arrange attendance at USA Swim Meets as required
- Attend all league meetings and team meetings
- Coordinate entry information to meet all deadlines
- Conduct and manage United States Swim Team meets
- Ensure meet information is complete and up-to-date in the Member Services System (Daxko) and Team Unify at all times
- Communicate all aquatic programs and events via social media, online and all intra-branch and inter-branch methods available.
- Organize and schedule registrations for the meeting program
- Assist the Water Sports Director with Project SAFE and other water-related, grant-funded youth development programs
- Help develop, implement and monitor the annual aquatic budget in collaboration with the supervisor
- Track, monitor and adjust resources to achieve financial goals
- Assist, review and certify department payroll accuracy
- Track and monitor aquatic registration fees and scheduled sessions
Facilities / Risk Management
- Perform swim instructor, swim coach and/or lifeguard duties as required.
- Works with the Aquatics Director and other Program Directors to provide risk management drills to all team members and recommend procedural changes to ensure the safety of all team members, members , guests and participants.
Performance and results (25%)
- Holds direct reports accountable for achievement at high levels to achieve programmatic goals and objectives
- Models inclusive leadership behaviors and embraces all dimensions of diversity – building strong teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to our mission
- Responsible for hiring, coaching and managing all direct reports and alignment with association people practices for all positions within their organizational structure
- Performs cycle checks and annual check-in with supervisor to ensure progress with OKRs, provide ongoing coaching and feedback, and discuss development opportunities
- Accountable for the achievement of strategic plan metrics, objectives and key results (OKRs)
- Implements a process within his/her department to support the Goals-Based Leadership Approach (OKR methodology) and ensures that the department works diligently to support organizational level goals and key results
Other assigned duties
- Represent the YMCA of Austin locally, regionally and nationally, both inside and outside the organization.
What you bring to the Goal:
You have demonstrated success in growing programs as well as implementing innovative strategies in aquatic programs. You possess a dynamic attitude with the ability to think creatively, overcome obstacles and perform exceptionally in a variety of environments.
- Education experience:
- You hold a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in recreation management, physical education, education, child development, or a related field preferred.
- You have at least three (3) years of professional experience in management and/or leadership in an aquatic environment.
- You have at least two (2) years of experience managing swim teams and/or other aquatic programs
- Current YMCA lifeguard certification. American Red Cross certification is acceptable with the YMCA cross course.
- Current certifications in first aid, CPR/AED and emergency oxygen. CPO certification is a plus.
- Completion of YMCA Child Abuse Prevention Training once hired.
- Completion of YMCA Swim Instructor course once hired.
- You are a cause-driven leader – You are effective at:
- Advance our mission and cause – provide visionary leadership to ensure resources are mobilized to adapt to new challenges and community needs
- Build Relationships – connecting people to the cause of the Y by developing inclusive relationships, partnerships and collaborations to co-create solutions to pressing social needs
- Leading operations – ensuring the relevance, effectiveness and sustainability of the organization so that we can continue to deliver on our promise to the community
- Develop and inspire people – supporting the holistic development of self and others so that everyone can embrace the cause of the Y, support our culture and inspire others to action
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional duties and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, amnesty or covered veteran status. in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in all locations where we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves, compensation and training.
How to register
Visit THIS LINK to view the position and apply!
D. Scott Brown