ASSISTANT MANAGER – MANUFACTURING SCHEDULE
ALGOMA STEEL INC.
This position is located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leader in the manufacture of hot and cold rolled sheet and steel plate. We are the only discrete plate producer in Canada and one of the lowest cost hot-rolled steel plate producers in North America, thanks in part to our state-of-the-art direct strip production complex. Our steel is used in the construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding and energy sectors, including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is changing rapidly and so are we, moving to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel. bringing to market low carbon steel products, reducing our environmental footprint,
and ensure a more sustainable future. We invite those with talent and drive for superior performance, who want to be part of a steel industry team
professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-old tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
Reports to the Manager, Manufacturing Planning and Scheduling and helps lead a team responsible for primary scheduling, hot rolling and finishing. Supports manufacturing planning and scheduling processes and assumes a leadership role in the manager’s absence. Completes special projects and assignments to improve company planning objectives including customer satisfaction, optimal inventory flow, ensuring orders are right the first time, and maximizing profitability.
- Assists in providing direction on casting, rolling and finishing production schedules to maximize production that meets customer deliveries and quality specifications.
- Documents plan compliance and participates in operations improvement strategies to improve plan compliance results.
- Assist in coordinating the flow of work in progress (WIP) inventory from casting to finished goods (FG), including controlling stock slab inventory generation and managing application to orders.
- Recommends and directs improvements to business systems (software and processes) that support production planning and execution.
- Helps planning supervisors achieve success in areas of management including annual budgets, adherence to ABCs, IATF/ISO processes, prioritization of work assignments, and adherence to OHS requirements. Essential Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in business or technology, preferably a master’s degree in business or technology
- Previous leadership role(s), preferably 3-5 years of direct management
- 3-5 years planning/manufacturing operations, preferably 5-7 years planning/operations
- Strong computer skills, preferably advanced level ability in Microsoft Excel and SAP
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
If you qualify for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers a superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by June 3, 2022. To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.