OCTOPI – BREWING MANAGER
Octopuses is looking for a Brewing Manager – Waunakee, WI, located just outside of Madison. We are going through a major expansion that will allow us to increase our capacity to one million barrels of product annually!
Login/relocation bonuses available!
The Brewing Manager is directly responsible for the day-to-day support of the brewing teams, including the brewhouse, cellar and dosing/mixing. This role requires strong communication skills and a strong team based approach to our daily operations and a thorough knowledge of all aspects of the brewing process. The Brewing Manager also works directly with our customers and across all internal teams. An open, solution-oriented mind and a can-do attitude are essential as our diverse set of products and processes are constantly evolving. Interactions with many different departments are required on a daily basis, and the brewing manager is an essential facilitator of all brewing operations. The Head of Brewing reports to and is directly supported by the Head of Brewing. Here is a list of responsibilities and it will no doubt evolve:
- Daily direct interaction with the Quality team to oversee fermentation, approve product and provide direction on any corrective direction needed
- Lead process improvement, support SOP and process development, develop individual product SOPs
- Lead safety initiatives with the EHS Manager, cascading and escalating safety issues, training and briefing
- Support department managers provide extensive training to all brewers in accordance with established SOPs and best practices
- Support the continued growth of brewing teams to develop skills on an ongoing basis as each brewer develops
- Act as a “next level” trainer deepening the team’s understanding of process and best practices so that they continue to grow as troublemakers and problem solvers
- Provide a more in-depth analysis of problems and their solutions
- Act as the main point of contact for customers as needed to translate or develop processes specific to their products
- Act as the primary point of contact for customers to address quality issues, recipe and process adjustments on an ongoing basis
- Work directly with our Project Manager and Recipe Specialist to develop and approve customer recipes for new products, suitable for our systems
- Includes scaling up customer recipes, drafting and confirming recipes with customers, adjustments and rewording, pricing, and following up with our project manager to ensure timely completion of terms prerequisites that facilitate flexible planning
- Support brewing teams as a facilitator, following up with other teams on the status of many different inputs affecting schedule fulfillment to ensure continuous process flow
- Execute the follow-up of the priorities established by the director of the brewery
- Covers all emerging needs for the brewhouse and cellar
- Escalate observed needs and propose solutions and ideas to address them
- Ensure proper documentation throughout the brew
- Enforce completeness
- Add new ones as needed or prescribed by brewing director
- Assist in problem solving and decision making with all brewing teams on a daily basis
- Main channel for climbing, cascading and servicing maintenance needs
- Primary contact for BH raw materials, interact with suppliers to address all raw material needs and concerns
- Lead the brewing team, manage staffing issues and accountability as a team with managers and brewing director
The Brewery Manager must have a minimum of 7 years of experience in a brewing production environment producing 100,000 bbl+ per year. Bachelor of Science and/or related training in brewing is a plus. Diversified experience and a strong aptitude with automated equipment is also a plus. A positive attitude is a must.
- Ability to lift 55 lbs and move 165 lbs as needed.
- Ability to stand for an extended period.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Basic troubleshooting skills in a brewing/manufacturing environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to function well in a high paced environment.
About our team:
At Octopi, our mission is to support our customers in the growth of their brand. We are also looking for energetic candidates to grow with us at Octopi. As we complete our current expansion, we will increase production from our state-of-the-art production and brewing facilities. We anticipate growth of over 400% over the next 3 years, while continuing to lead innovations in the beverage industry.
Skilled people are detail-oriented, collaborative, growth-oriented, and self-motivated. Our team is a community; we are open, informal and relaxed, but also hardworking and respectful of others. You should be too.
Qualified and interested individuals should submit their letter of intent and resume.
Remuneration varies according to experience. Health, dental, vision, paid vacation, 401k and other additional benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Octopi requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 (unless they have a medical/religious exemption).
Job offers at Octopi are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. Background checks will be performed on all final applicants, if required.
Job type: Full time