The ArtCenter College of Design credits Sally and her husband, Don, for the tremendous impact on its development and growth.
By News Desk
Sally and Don met when they were both students in the publicity program at the ArtCenter in her neighborhood of Macarthur Park. Sally graduated in 1948 and after Don graduated in 1949 they moved to Philadelphia where Sally worked for many years as assistant art editor of Ladies Home Journal and Don was art director at NW Ayer & Son.
Sally and Don moved back to Pasadena in 1963. Don worked with ArtCenter president Tink Adams, and in 1969 became president of ArtCenter until his retirement in 1985. Don died in 2011.
Upon their return to Pasadena, Sally joined the Pasadena Art Alliance, a philanthropic organization that continues to support ArtCenter. Sally served as artistic director for numerous ArtCenter publications between 1975 and 1981, including a catalog that won a New York Art Directors’ Award.
Architectural firm Craig Ellwood Associates was commissioned to create the Hillside campus and its signature building; the building was opened in 1976 and was named a local historic landmark in 2005. Sally and Don had commissioned Craig Ellwood to build their home in Pasadena and credited Ellwood with being able to reflect ArtCenter’s educational philosophy and adapt to its growth.
Upon announcing her passing, Lorne M. Buchman, President of ArtCenter, said, “We owe Sally a great debt, not only for her role in bringing our beautiful campus to the foot of Pasadena, but also for her legacy of kindness and generosity. .”
In lieu of flowers, donations in Sally’s memory may be made to the Kubly Family Endowed Scholarship.
Edited by Kate Bartlett